St Andrew’s is a football stadium in Birmingham, England. It has served as the home ground of Birmingham City Football Club for almost a century. St Andrew’s Trillion Trophy Stadium was renamed from 2018 to 2021, owing to sponsorship.
The club replaced the Muntz Street ground, which had become too small to accommodate the club’s requirements, in 1906 and constructed and opened St Andrew’s as a 90,000-capacity stadium. One grandstand and a large uncovered terrace were housed inside.
The 66,844 or 67,341 attending figure was set during a 1939 FA Cup match against Everton. St Andrew’s endured bomb damage and the grandstand, which housed a makeshift fire station, burned down due to an accidental fire during the Second World War.
In the 1950s, the club rebuilt the stand and installed floodlights, after which it built a second little stand and covered over the open terraces. However, there were no significant improvements made.
The Taylor Report, which was origionally published in 1990, set out the requirements for safety at sports grounds. As a result of the report’s findings, began a six-year redevelopment project in 1993 that resulted in their current all-seater stadium design to meet the regulations.
The modern football stadium’s capacity is 29,409. It has meeting rooms for business or social gatherings, as well as a club shop that sells Birmingham City apparel.
The club’s plans to move into a multi-purpose City of Birmingham Stadium were abandoned after they were rejected in 2004. The ground was designated as an Asset of Community Value under the Localism Act 2011 in 2013.
England international football matches have all been held at St Andrew’s Stadium.
The ground has also been the home of Coventry City for the 2019–20 and 2020–21 seasons. It has hosted events in a variety of sports, including rugby union and professional boxing, as well as music concerts recently.
St Andrew’s was the first new stadium and first English ground to host an FA Cup final, when Birmingham played Burnley before a crowd of more than 50,000 in 1910.
It was also the home of one England international game from 1912 until 1923, with the final match being against Wales on March 16, 1923. The first was held at the neutral venue of St Andrew’s in 1911, and the most recent was contested there in 1956. The club had to move out of its home ground during World War for usage as an army barracks. If you are in town it is not far from perry park
During this time, Birmingham City played their home games at the grounds of their local rivals, Aston Villa, and Small Heath Alliance.
When cricket resumed at St Andrew’s in February 1919, after the First World War had devastated so much of the field that it was unfit for play, many craters and debris-filled depressions remained. After using various wooden stakes and ropes in its first few years, the club installed metal goalposts for the first time in 1920.
Birmingham City Ladies F.C. played on this ground until they disbanded in the 2017–18 season, when they were replaced by Moseley AFC’s development team for that campaign before returning to St Andrew’s in 2018–19. go back to home page click here