History of Small Heath
The village of Small Heath is continuously used and inhabited for centuries, has been a popular destination since Roman times, sits on the top of a small hill. The elevated area offers an agriculturally poor land area on sandy and gravel as well as clay glacier drifts that allow for adequate grazing for cattle.
The area, therefore could be a pasture or common area where people could graze their livestock. The site, however, is situated right in the middle of the road that connects Birmingham and Coventry and Coventry, which suggests this was a place used by drovers to transport animals between cities, as well as for local market for livestock.
Coventry Road is first mentioned in 1226, as it linked with the Digbeth crossing over the River Rea to Birmingham’s medieval market town. Coventry was a city with national significance at the time, while Birmingham was a market town in the medieval period. town.
The Coventry Turnpike, which was the first road that was public in England and was inaugurated with tax gates at Watery Lane (Middleway), Green Lane, and the River Cole in 1745. A landmark was constructed on Holder Road to indicate a distance of 105 miles (169 kilometers) from London.
The first mention from Small Heath dates from 1461 at the time it was known as an “narrow heath” between Green Lane and the Coventry Road, where the library and baths were later built.
This hamlet in the countryside was established with the building of the Warwick and Birmingham Canal (now the Grand Union Canal) in 1799 that established its southern border. In 1852 it was the year of the opening of the Birmingham and Oxford Junction Railway that follows exactly the same route that is used today for Birmingham New Street station, set the boundary in stone for all time.
As Birmingham flourished, the rich sought refuge outside the crowded city central. In 1834, when large homes first began to appear to the east of Small Heath between Green Lane and Grange Road, small Heath was a green area near and within a growing city, began to be constructed.
After the initial phase the terraced housing estates designed for workers were built to the west from Charles Road as far as Charles Road.
View looking towards the end to the floor, featuring the roof, pillars and a clock in the middle (behind the target) of an otherwise wide terrace
The process of extracting the clay of the region and then transformed into bricks, helped in building properties in the area more affordable and less expensive. The clay pit that was the deepest in the area was located on Cattell Road.
in 1875. Holy Trinity Cricket Club, Bordesley was formed as an effort to remain active during winter months by the Small Heath Alliance Football Club in Birmingham. The club was formed in 1877 and moved in the Muntz Street Stadium and paid a fee of $5 annually from the Sam Jessey family.
The capacity of the stadium was 10,000 and was surrounded by two sides of developed roads including Muntz Street on the west and Wright Street to the south, and the two edges of the enclosure bordered farms.
Small Heath Cricket Ground Small Heath Cricket Ground was first constructed in 1867, and has undergone numerous changes over the decades. Its initial capacity was 10,000, but due to a wooden stand as well as the addition of terracing to boost it to a total of 30,000. The ground was leased in 1895. The club was granted a lease on the stadium for PS275 with 11 years. check out this site or go back to home