The 19th century was when Nechells was a populated area, with a large number of homes and factories being constructed. From Ireland there was a massive influx. The town was classified as an Aston hamlet within Aston, the parish Aston and the borough of Birmingham County Warwick in 1868.
With Duddeston and being connected to it, this region is rich in background. It is home to various industries and homes that include a brickworks and an asylum. St Clement’s Church is located in the area.
Nechells Library Nechells Library is located on Nechells Parkway. In 2014 due to the condition of the building the library was not in use. Nechells POD provided library services.
Birmingham Victory Unity Centre Birmingham Victory Unity Centre now utilizes it’s St Clement’s Church ruins on Stuart Street.
The London and North Western Railway’s line between Stechford to Aston passed through Nechells Park Road and adjacent streets before it was opened in 1880. It also opened the Grand Junction Railway, which was a link between Liverpool and Manchester with Birmingham.
The 20th century, and even later.
Because of World War II, large populations fleeing German as well as Italian territory in Middle East, North Africa and Asia. From colonies within the Commonwealth and the Caribbean and the Indian Subcontinent, more immigrants were brought in.
But by 1950 most of the homes in Nechells were reduced in the 1950s to “slums” and were no suitable for living in. Residents lived in homes that were without running water, electricity or bathrooms. They also had no indoor toilets or bathrooms.
In the Gas Works emitted an unpleasant smell that lasted for several months. It was 1937 when the bulk of the area was designated as a redevelopment area, but due the area was undergoing reconstruction prior to World War II, it was put on hold by 20 years.
Nechells’ Victorian terraces that surrounded Nechells began to decay in the 1960s. They were later destroyed, and Nechells being replaced with new buildings and tower blocks.
A few families remained in new homes that were built around Nechells However, there was not enough homes for all the original residents. As the result, some of them were forced to move into new housing developments like Castle Vale and Chelmsley Wood.
The new homes are an improvement on the older ones, however the neighborhood was beset by a rise in unemployment and crime.
The construction of high-rise flats in Nechells started in the 1950s. In addition, the area also was home for Birmingham’s initial tower block , Queens Tower, on Great Francis Street It was completed in 1954 , and is still in existence today.
However, a lot of Tower blocks of Nechells were torn down in the late 1990s to make way for new low-rise rental and private housing. In addition, the Gas Holder Number Seven, which was an iconic local landmark and was demolished in August 2005.
Then, in May of 2006 it was announced that the PS700 million redevelopment project that would completely renovate Nechells was in progress.
The development is implemented in the hands of Birmingham City Council and housing associations like the Halton Group, as well as neighborhood associations such as Nechells Community Forum. Nechells Community Forum.
In 2015, the whole area is expected to be fully rebuilt.
There are plans to build the construction of a new Library as well as Birmingham City University campus in Acocks Green and the construction of a new sports facility located on Halton Street (which would include fitness equipment including a badminton courts and a football field for residents) are in progress. why not check out Small Heath