The ancient parish of Aston (now known as simply Aston) was rather large. It was separated from Birmingham’s parish by A.B. Row, which is now just 50 yards long in the Eastside of the city.
Aston Manor, which was known initially as Aston, was governed by a Local Board from 1869 and became an Urban District Council in 1903 before being absorbed into the growth of Birmingham County Borough in 1911. Another portion, Saltley, was added to the municipality in 1911.
Both the Aston Hippodrome and the Bartons Arms public house are examples of old structures that became fashionable in the area. In 1892, Gospel Hall on Park Lane was constructed and then demolished back in the 1970s to be then reconstructed at the top of Park Lane in 1979. The original hall seated 73 people.
Another popular meeting spot was the Ellen Knox Memorial Hall, which was adjacent to the Midland Vinegar Brewery. The Midland Brewery Company purchased the business that owned the brewery in 1877 and built it around that year on Upper Thomas Street.
The plant was a three-story brick structure with curved corners, semi-circular windows, and a slatted roof. The Premier Motor Works, which created vehicles in the early twentieth century, was one of Aston’s other businesses.
The jobs were at the junction of Aston Road and Dartmouth Street. On Miller Street was a tramcar depot with space for 104 trams. It began operations in 1904, and it was later taken over by Birmingham Corporation Tramways Ltd on the behalf of the Urban District Council before becoming formally property of Birmingham Corporation Tramways on January 1, 1912.
Following the Second World War, Aston underwent major modification. South Aston was chosen as a renewal area, and the traditional area known as “Aston New Town” was completely rebuilt.
The area was formerly known as “Newtown” and is a large housing estate made up of sixteen tower blocks, five of which have now since been demolished. The development received the go-ahead in 1968. On the site, three 20-story tower blocks housed 354 flats alone.
Today, Aston is linked to Aston Villa F.C. and Aston University (even though the campus is not in Aston but is instead 1.3 to the south, located in Birmingham city centre). The Aston University is one of four universities in Birmingham.
Aston Villa have played at Villa Park since 1897, and it has been one of England’s biggest football grounds in recent years. The park has also hosted events such as international rugby league and rugby union. This is perhaps the most well-known attraction in the area. click here or check out saltley
The name for the region was derived from the mining of salt which was once significant throughout the entire region. Saltley was at first an unconfirmed parish that was part of a landholding owned by Adderley family, and its descendants. They founded Saltley Hall in the area that is today Adderley Park.
The family relocated the family’s home in Hams Hall in the 16th century to have better access towards the River Tame, when water became a vital resource. In the event that it came to the English Civil War broke out Like the majority of gentry, they opted for the Royalist side, and were later penalized heavily for their choice.
Joseph Wright and Sons relocated to a factory that was built on meadows located in Saltley in 1845. It was there that they were later renamed Metro-Cammell.
As Birmingham was industrialized, Saltley grew as an overspill zone for employees, but it was still owned under the control of the Adderley family. Adderley family. Charles Bowyer Adderley (later 1st Baron Norton) in 1855, donated land for the development of Adderley Park and churches.
Lord Norton was in charge of the modern streets and well-spaced houses in the late 1800s which are now considered Slum developments after World War II.
The Kent and Sussex Mechanics’ Institution and St Peter’s College in Northampton were established in 1852. The school was shut down after a Luftwaffe bomb destroyed the school in 1941, however, the school after five years became part of Aston University. Today, the structure is home to residential houses as well as meeting rooms and city services.
Saltley is a massive commercial area with a huge number of shops and is a very crowded area. Saltley starts from its entrance at the Saltley Viaduct, known as the Saltley Gate located at the entry point towards Alum Rock Road and Washwood Heath Road.
Around Saltley There are numerous older homes dating from the beginning of the 20th century.
In the 1950s and the 1960s, the majority of these homes were bought by people in the Commonwealth of Nations (primarily Pakistanis and Bangladeshis) who have established an ethnically diverse community over the last few decades.
The primary attraction of the neighborhood is its street and alleyways that are cobblestone they are home to most terraced houses and some new housing developments. Schools for primary students include St. Peter’s College, situated in the neighborhood.
The site is now used for sheltered housing and small offices for business similar to CSV Environment, and a smaller playing field. There is the Wheel’s Adventure Park and other smaller parks in the neighborhood are included under the category of recreation. It was the Saltley Festival was an annual street parade that was held in the area.
Future plans for Wheel’s Adventure Park is in danger due to proposals for major overhaul to construct a sports town as well as City of Birmingham Stadium. The concept of the City of Birmingham Stadium has been dropped.
Locations that are worth a visit
Adderley Street was where the 1890 discovery of the Saltley Handaxe took place, which was the very first human artifact of the paleolithic age to be found within England’s Midlands.
The Battle of Saltley Gate, one of the biggest protests of the 1970s, occurred in Saltley Gate. Saltley Gate Coke Depot. The 10th of February, 1972 3000 Birmingham engineers left from their jobs.
They gathered to show their support for the miners in strike. Up to 15,000 people gathered around Saltley Coke Depot, where 220 miners were protesting at the gate. The protest forced authorities, which had permitted the depot to stay operational throughout the week to shut the doors.
The strike of miners turned around when they won at Saltley. The shut-down of power stations docks, power stations, and coal depots was enforced by militant protests that involved tens of thousand miners. The conservative government was forced to declare an emergency state as due to power failures. Within seven days, the administration announced its resignation. visit home page or why not check out Nechells
The 19th century was when Nechells was a populated area, with a large number of homes and factories being constructed. From Ireland there was a massive influx. The town was classified as an Aston hamlet within Aston, the parish Aston and the borough of Birmingham County Warwick in 1868.
With Duddeston and being connected to it, this region is rich in background. It is home to various industries and homes that include a brickworks and an asylum. St Clement’s Church is located in the area.
Nechells Library Nechells Library is located on Nechells Parkway. In 2014 due to the condition of the building the library was not in use. Nechells POD provided library services.
Birmingham Victory Unity Centre Birmingham Victory Unity Centre now utilizes it’s St Clement’s Church ruins on Stuart Street.
The London and North Western Railway’s line between Stechford to Aston passed through Nechells Park Road and adjacent streets before it was opened in 1880. It also opened the Grand Junction Railway, which was a link between Liverpool and Manchester with Birmingham.
The 20th century, and even later.
Because of World War II, large populations fleeing German as well as Italian territory in Middle East, North Africa and Asia. From colonies within the Commonwealth and the Caribbean and the Indian Subcontinent, more immigrants were brought in.
But by 1950 most of the homes in Nechells were reduced in the 1950s to “slums” and were no suitable for living in. Residents lived in homes that were without running water, electricity or bathrooms. They also had no indoor toilets or bathrooms.
In the Gas Works emitted an unpleasant smell that lasted for several months. It was 1937 when the bulk of the area was designated as a redevelopment area, but due the area was undergoing reconstruction prior to World War II, it was put on hold by 20 years.
Nechells’ Victorian terraces that surrounded Nechells began to decay in the 1960s. They were later destroyed, and Nechells being replaced with new buildings and tower blocks.
A few families remained in new homes that were built around Nechells However, there was not enough homes for all the original residents. As the result, some of them were forced to move into new housing developments like Castle Vale and Chelmsley Wood.
The new homes are an improvement on the older ones, however the neighborhood was beset by a rise in unemployment and crime.
The construction of high-rise flats in Nechells started in the 1950s. In addition, the area also was home for Birmingham’s initial tower block , Queens Tower, on Great Francis Street It was completed in 1954 , and is still in existence today.
However, a lot of Tower blocks of Nechells were torn down in the late 1990s to make way for new low-rise rental and private housing. In addition, the Gas Holder Number Seven, which was an iconic local landmark and was demolished in August 2005.
Then, in May of 2006 it was announced that the PS700 million redevelopment project that would completely renovate Nechells was in progress.
The development is implemented in the hands of Birmingham City Council and housing associations like the Halton Group, as well as neighborhood associations such as Nechells Community Forum. Nechells Community Forum.
In 2015, the whole area is expected to be fully rebuilt.
There are plans to build the construction of a new Library as well as Birmingham City University campus in Acocks Green and the construction of a new sports facility located on Halton Street (which would include fitness equipment including a badminton courts and a football field for residents) are in progress. why not check out Small Heath
The village of Small Heath is continuously used and inhabited for centuries, has been a popular destination since Roman times, sits on the top of a small hill. The elevated area offers an agriculturally poor land area on sandy and gravel as well as clay glacier drifts that allow for adequate grazing for cattle.
The area, therefore could be a pasture or common area where people could graze their livestock. The site, however, is situated right in the middle of the road that connects Birmingham and Coventry and Coventry, which suggests this was a place used by drovers to transport animals between cities, as well as for local market for livestock.
Coventry Road is first mentioned in 1226, as it linked with the Digbeth crossing over the River Rea to Birmingham’s medieval market town. Coventry was a city with national significance at the time, while Birmingham was a market town in the medieval period. town.
The Coventry Turnpike, which was the first road that was public in England and was inaugurated with tax gates at Watery Lane (Middleway), Green Lane, and the River Cole in 1745. A landmark was constructed on Holder Road to indicate a distance of 105 miles (169 kilometers) from London.
The first mention from Small Heath dates from 1461 at the time it was known as an “narrow heath” between Green Lane and the Coventry Road, where the library and baths were later built.
This hamlet in the countryside was established with the building of the Warwick and Birmingham Canal (now the Grand Union Canal) in 1799 that established its southern border. In 1852 it was the year of the opening of the Birmingham and Oxford Junction Railway that follows exactly the same route that is used today for Birmingham New Street station, set the boundary in stone for all time.
As Birmingham flourished, the rich sought refuge outside the crowded city central. In 1834, when large homes first began to appear to the east of Small Heath between Green Lane and Grange Road, small Heath was a green area near and within a growing city, began to be constructed.
After the initial phase the terraced housing estates designed for workers were built to the west from Charles Road as far as Charles Road.
View looking towards the end to the floor, featuring the roof, pillars and a clock in the middle (behind the target) of an otherwise wide terrace
The process of extracting the clay of the region and then transformed into bricks, helped in building properties in the area more affordable and less expensive. The clay pit that was the deepest in the area was located on Cattell Road.
in 1875. Holy Trinity Cricket Club, Bordesley was formed as an effort to remain active during winter months by the Small Heath Alliance Football Club in Birmingham. The club was formed in 1877 and moved in the Muntz Street Stadium and paid a fee of $5 annually from the Sam Jessey family.
The capacity of the stadium was 10,000 and was surrounded by two sides of developed roads including Muntz Street on the west and Wright Street to the south, and the two edges of the enclosure bordered farms.
Small Heath Cricket Ground Small Heath Cricket Ground was first constructed in 1867, and has undergone numerous changes over the decades. Its initial capacity was 10,000, but due to a wooden stand as well as the addition of terracing to boost it to a total of 30,000. The ground was leased in 1895. The club was granted a lease on the stadium for PS275 with 11 years. check out this site or go back to home
In between Moseley Village and Birmingham City Birmingham, Balsall Heath was initially agrarian land prior to the 1850s when development along Moseley Road brought the two together. The area was once included in King’s Norton parish in Worcestershire before it was made an incorporated county town of Birmingham in Warwickshire on the 1st of October, 1891.
In the year before the baths were offered a public bath and the possibility of a library for free. In 1895 the library was set up in Moseley Road, and in 1907, the Balsall Heating Baths were inaugurated in a building adjacent to it.
In 1900 in the year 1900, the College of Art was created in 1900. It was located on Moseley Road, as well. The small lakes (“Lady Pool” on old maps) near close to Ladypool Road had been filled into an area for a park at this point.
Balsall Heath was originally a highly affluent area, and this can be seen in the decayed splendor in some more substantial houses. The construction to a station for trains along Brighton Road (on the Birmingham to Bristol line) brought about more growth.
By the end of the 19th century, tiny terraced homes were becoming more well-known.
In June 1940 two Yemenis bought an artisan’s cottage located on Mary Street and established a Muslim community. With the mosque located in the area, a growing number of Muslim immigrants were able to find private accommodation within Balsall Heath.
Presently, Balsall Heath has one of the largest Muslim population in Birmingham. The area also has communities from across the Commonwealth.
A lot of the homes in Balsall Heath were in disrepair in the 1980s. Many were still without toilets in the indoors or bathrooms. The council in the area considered demolition of the houses however, they decided to refurbish them within an urban revival program.
A large portion of the Victorian terraces remain along with the more modern social housing that is typical of the region in the present. The more traditional “brick” pavements were phased out in favour of more modern and more conventional pavement slabs.
The low cost of Balsall Heath attracted a bohemian-style student population. The area’s proximity near Birmingham’s University of Birmingham, the city’s center, and Moseley’s fashionable district were just a few important factors.
Despite their very different lives There was not much tension between the students and the locals. In 1991 the result of a knife fight was into an article published in Redbrick warning students to avoid living in the region.
The 2nd of July, 2005 an avalanche ripped through Balsall Heath, wrecking several houses near Church Road and Ladypool Road. Birmingham City Council assisted people who might not have been able to build their new homes through loans. The region has completely recovered. or check out this article
Star City is a family entertainment and leisure centre in Nechells, Birmingham, England. It is located near the junction of the M6 motorway and Aston Train Station northeast of Birmingham. The station is marked by a distinctive white edifice with red circular windows.
The abandoned industrial zone was re-developed in an attempt to bring back the Heartlands area. The objective was to transform Birmingham’s reputation in order to reflect contemporary realities.
The most popular attraction is the huge twenty-five-screen (formerly thirty screen) Vue cinema, which was at the time Europe’s largest theater and then became Warner Brothers Cinema. The structure was erected by Carillion of Wolverhampton, Carillion.
The venue was formally opened on July 20, 2001, to coincide with the UK premiere of The Perfect Storm, by George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg, who are both actors. For relaxation, it has 392,000 square feet (36,400 sq m). It is one of the largest entertainment centers in the United Kingdom.
The 32-lane Megabowl (now known as Tenpin’) bowling alley was established in 2003, when Star City opened, and has been operational since. It was among the biggest parks across the United States that provided leisure activities in 2003, ahead of The Printworks in Manchester and The Mailbox in Birmingham city center.
In 2007, Goals Sports Bar and Restaurant was created on the site of the former Goals Indoor Field Complex, which included 14 fields. Goals includes a Sports Bar that shows all year round sports events and games on Sky and terrestrial television.
The course was completely rebuilt in 2008. An indoor mini golf course with 36 holes that is also the country’s first. Adventure Island Mini Golf opened on June 11, 2008.
Reflections on the Community
The city of Birmingham has a high black population, and it is considered to be one of the most multicultural cities in the United Kingdom. The district was once home to Britain’s first planned industrial suburb, Vulcan Works. It is also where Britain’s first modern cremation cemetery was built and where the Capital Cinema building still stands today near Hay Mills station. The first modern crematorium was built by Birmingham Crematorium Company Ltd.
The area has recently become one of the city’s most desirable places to live, due to its proximity to parks and green spaces along with access to multiple amenities that range from shops, pubs, restaurants and cinemas. The region includes many deprived areas that are adjacent but subdue the deprivation. The area has a relatively cheap home rental market and capital appreciation compared with other parts of Birmingham such as Harborne, Edgbaston and Moseley. go here for home page or visit st andrews
St Andrew’s is a football stadium in Birmingham, England. It has served as the home ground of Birmingham City Football Club for almost a century. St Andrew’s Trillion Trophy Stadium was renamed from 2018 to 2021, owing to sponsorship.
The club replaced the Muntz Street ground, which had become too small to accommodate the club’s requirements, in 1906 and constructed and opened St Andrew’s as a 90,000-capacity stadium. One grandstand and a large uncovered terrace were housed inside.
The 66,844 or 67,341 attending figure was set during a 1939 FA Cup match against Everton. St Andrew’s endured bomb damage and the grandstand, which housed a makeshift fire station, burned down due to an accidental fire during the Second World War.
In the 1950s, the club rebuilt the stand and installed floodlights, after which it built a second little stand and covered over the open terraces. However, there were no significant improvements made.
The Taylor Report, which was origionally published in 1990, set out the requirements for safety at sports grounds. As a result of the report’s findings, began a six-year redevelopment project in 1993 that resulted in their current all-seater stadium design to meet the regulations.
The modern football stadium’s capacity is 29,409. It has meeting rooms for business or social gatherings, as well as a club shop that sells Birmingham City apparel.
The club’s plans to move into a multi-purpose City of Birmingham Stadium were abandoned after they were rejected in 2004. The ground was designated as an Asset of Community Value under the Localism Act 2011 in 2013.
England international football matches have all been held at St Andrew’s Stadium.
The ground has also been the home of Coventry City for the 2019–20 and 2020–21 seasons. It has hosted events in a variety of sports, including rugby union and professional boxing, as well as music concerts recently.
St Andrew’s was the first new stadium and first English ground to host an FA Cup final, when Birmingham played Burnley before a crowd of more than 50,000 in 1910.
It was also the home of one England international game from 1912 until 1923, with the final match being against Wales on March 16, 1923. The first was held at the neutral venue of St Andrew’s in 1911, and the most recent was contested there in 1956. The club had to move out of its home ground during World War for usage as an army barracks. If you are in town it is not far from perry park
During this time, Birmingham City played their home games at the grounds of their local rivals, Aston Villa, and Small Heath Alliance.
When cricket resumed at St Andrew’s in February 1919, after the First World War had devastated so much of the field that it was unfit for play, many craters and debris-filled depressions remained. After using various wooden stakes and ropes in its first few years, the club installed metal goalposts for the first time in 1920.
Birmingham City Ladies F.C. played on this ground until they disbanded in the 2017–18 season, when they were replaced by Moseley AFC’s development team for that campaign before returning to St Andrew’s in 2018–19. go back to home page click here
The Perry Park project was funded by European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), English Partnerships and East Staffordshire Borough Council. The work took place between 2002 and 2012, and involved improving flood defences and creating a nature area to help wildlife flourish in the area.
In accordance with the SMURF (Sustainable Management of Urban Rivers and Floodplains) project the river was altered in 2005 in order to slow the flow, reduce flooding, and provide better areas for animals to live in.
In the year 2010, the sluice gate panel needed proper repair and as a result of this an assessment was carried out to see which part of the structure suffered from deterioration. In addition, it is important that every aspect of work for any land will have to come with consent from the planning authority.
Perry Park has many amenities such as public toilets, cafes and toilets, a playground, fishing pool and plenty of space for sports. There are also footpaths surrounding the Tame River which make it easy for visitors to get up close to nature.
The park covers around and is well equipped with swings and slides for children as well as plenty of space for adults to have a picnic or play on the large grass area. There are also tennis courts nearby if you would like to get involved with some competitive sports whilst in the park.
There is plenty of parking available at Perry Park making it easy for people to drive up and enjoy everything that the park has to offer. You can find the park by following the Tame Valley Way, which is clearly signposted.
The main aim of the project was to improve the River Tame’s flow and reduce the risk of flooding. The project also provided local people with new facilities for walking, relaxing and exercising.
During this time, 500 trees were planted along the riverside, over 200 tonnes of soil were moved to create meadows and wetland habitats, 6km of hedgerow was planted and a navigable sluice gate was installed.
The project has had a huge impact on the surrounding area, making it an even better place to live and visit. It has also improved the rivers flow which benefits local wildlife. or check out aston hall or go back to homepage
Construction on the hall began on April 16, 1618, when Sir Thomas Holte moved in. The structure was completed in April 1635 and is now Grade I listed. It’s situated within a vast park. Villa Park, which was formerly part of it, is the home ground for Aston Villa football club.
An assault by Parliamentary soldiers in 1643 badly damaged the house. The scars are still visible, and a cannonball went through a glass and an unlocked door, as well as smashing through the banister.
The Holte family, who had owned the property since before 1750, sold it to James Watt Jr., the son of industrial pioneer James Watt, in 1817. In 1858, an unnamed privately held business (the Aston Hall and Park Company Ltd) acquired the house for use as a park with museum.
The home was acquired from Birmingham Corporation in 1864, when he was experiencing money difficulties. In 1864, the city purchased the house from Birmingham Corporation, becoming the first historical country mansion to be transferred into its hands.
Washington Irving visited Aston Hall, and he named it Bracebridge Hall, after Abraham Bracebridge, the husband of the last Holte family member who resided there.
Irving’s The Sketch Book tales chronicled the lovely and peaceful English Christmas events he witnessed at Aston Hall, which had been on the verge of being abandoned.
Aston Hall’s custom of giving their staff an allowance on Christmas Eve, according to The Gentleman’s Magazine in 1795, was as follows: “The servants are allowed to drink, dance, sing, and go to bed when they choose.”
After a fire damaged the city’s public library and the Birmingham and Midlands Institute, which shared the same building on Paradise Street, until the construction of the current Art Gallery in Council House, Birmingham’s art collection, as well as the Museum of Arms, were transferred to Aston Hall from 1878.
A major refurbishment took place in 1891, to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
The hall now also contained collections owned by the Natural History Society of Birmingham and the Warwickshire Archaeological Society.
In 1981, Aston Hall finally opened its doors to everyone as a museum. It was one of the first museums in Birmingham to close in 2012, for a major refurbishment.
The museum closed on February 28, 2012, until October 13 after more than £2 million was spent on its renovation.
An exhibition called the Hall of Curiosities has been created from objects already housed at the museum. The collection is made up of items that have been donated by Birmingham residents. Items on display include a crocodile skull and an Egyptian mummy, which was gifted to the museum in 1891 by Colonel Alan Bloom Reeves. A pair of Victorian shoes dating back to 1840 is also on show in one of the rooms. check out this article
Duddeston train station
Duddeston train station is a railway station in the city of Birmingham, England. The station is located on Birmingham to Sutton Coldfield Line near the junction with Birmingham to Worcester via Kidderminster Line and was opened by London and North Western Railway in 1872. In recent years, there has been an increase in passengers using this station as it makes it easier for commuters to get into nearby towns like Solihull and West Bromwich. This brief article will discuss some of the common questions asked at Duddeston train station, so be sure to read on!
This station serves the areas of Bordesley Green, Aston and Nechells in Birmingham. It is on the line between Birmingham New Street and Sutton Coldfield stations and lies 5 miles east of Birmingham city centre directly under the M6 motorway junction 6 onto which access can be made via a footbridge. Access to the platforms is by steps, there are no lifts to either platform so you must be able to climb stairs. All platforms have shelters with benches, cycle racks and timetable poster boards. The station is fully accessible to wheelchair users through a metal ramp at the London Road end of Platform 2.
Starting at Duddeston train station Vauxhall, Birmingham B7 4ST turn right onto b4132 and turn right in vauxhall trading estate you will find Floor Depot Unit 16, Rea Business Park, Inkerman St, Birmingham B7 4SH
Leave Floor Depot, Unit 16, Rea Business Park, Inkerman St, Birmingham B7 4SH head north back to b4132 and go straight across to devon st, you will see Hancocks 140 Devon St, Birmingham B7 4SL
Leave Floor Depot, Unit 16, Rea Business Park, Inkerman St, Birmingham B7 4SH and head north and you will see Greggs on the left Mainstream Ind PK, Mainstream Way, Birmingham B7 4SN
Leave Greggs – Mainstream Way, Mainstream Ind PK, Mainstream Way, Birmingham B7 4SN and head north you will see Midlands Gas Assesors, Unit 1 Industrial Park Mainstream, Mainstream Way, Birmingham B7 4SN on the left
Leave Midlands Gas Assesors, Unit 1 Industrial Park Mainstream, Mainstream Way, Birmingham B7 4SN and head north on to the A41 roundabout and head west, join the A3(M) head south and you will get to R B Serivces – Birmingham – PAT Testing – Electrical Testing – Fire Extinguisher Servicing, Dalton St, Birmingham B4 7LX